Our Design Director, Graham Wilson, brings a wealth of experience and expertise to the company. Having joined the organisation as a product designer back in 2001, Graham now sits on the board of directors, overseeing design and projects for Design Reality.
- What do you do at Design Reality?
I first joined Design Reality back in 2001 as a designer, had a few years away with Unilever in a Global CAD Development role, and then came back in 2006 as Technical Director.
My current role as Design Director is split into three main functions:
1) working with our Managing Director Mel Randall and our other Directors to help run the operations of Design Reality,
2) working closely with clients on project planning, strategy, budgeting etc., and
3) using my 20+ years of design and technical experience to directing design teams.
My skills are very broad ranging, but I like to think that I have a particular strength in project problem solving.
- What did you do you before working at Design Reality?
I joined Design Reality straight from university; however, I had already completed a 16-month paid placement at Unilever as a Junior Designer, as well as worked on a number of projects as a free-lance designer. As a free-lancer I worked on projects such as designing parts for STRIX (the people that manufacture Kettles and Kettle controls) and an architectural company in Oldham that make bespoke balustrades for stair cases.
- What has been the most interesting project you’ve worked on so far?
The most interesting project I’ve been involved in so far has been the design and development of the Vision C5 firefighting respirator for 3M|Scott. On the face of it, it might seem as if it’s just another firefighting respirator, but it’s not. Far from it. We had such a huge challenge completing all the requirements set out by the client, and it was undoubtedly the single biggest continuous project we had ever undertaken as a company. We achieved so may firsts within the project, it is quite unbelievable that we actually completed it at all!
- Describe yourself in 3 words (ish).
Honest, Committed and Respectable.
- What do you enjoy outside of work?
Family, Family, Family.
Beyond that I enjoy building sheds/pubs for friends, I’m a Level 2 Junior Cricket Coach, and golf – if there’s any time left.