Product: VR Headset
Company: Bruadar Medical Solutions Ltd
Bruadar, a manufacturer of medical and dental instruments and supplies, approached us to create a bespoke VR headset, compatible with various medical anaesthetic and oxygen masks. The goal was to create a virtual reality medium that would transform stressful and traumatic medical situations for paediatric patients into fun and engaging experiences through distraction.
– Ethnographic Study
– Primary Research
– Concept Sketching
– Graphic Design
– Manufacturing Plan
The product design brief was to create a headset that fits both children and adults, and is compatible with all oxygen and anaesthetic masks. The target use environments were given as treatment or emergency rooms pre-/ post- operation, where an anaesthetist or nurse would be responsible for working with the patients whilst they are using the product. The proposed design was for an easily disposable product to avoid any risk of cross-contamination between patients and third-party users.
Research and Development
Creating product designs for medical purposes requires some specific research and consideration. On this project this included:
- Visiting hospitals to help understand the use-case scenarios.
- Analysing existing VR headsets to familiarise ourselves with the technology.
- Refining 2D net designs and cardboard cut-outs in an iterative process of continuous testing.
- Considering factors such as CE marking, TOY Directive and REACH compliance to ensure that the product would be safe to use.
Product Design features
- Touch sensitive power button
- Small and discrete
- Wipe clean surface
- Quiet operation
- Long battery life
- Rounded head so vibrations sensed from any angle
- Discrete and compact
If you need a Product Design Consultancy with Medical Device experience and ISO 13485 accreditation get in touch with our team.
Get in Touch
If you need a support with your product design, manufacturing, electronics or software development, then get in touch today.